The December holiday period is often the longest school holiday of the year. It means lots of time for kids to relax and have fun and is also a time when many families escape to the beach or other fabulous holiday destinations. If you are staying at home, it tends to be a little harder to get up and go, and the lure of television, PlayStations, iPads and phones is very strong, but these options are not always the best and kids need to keep active, even when they are on holiday. Take a look at these top tips to help.
Free or Low Cost Ideas
You might not want to spend a lot on keeping your kids active and entertained these holidays, so here are some fun activities that are free or cost next to nothing:
- Go walking – explore your complex, neighborhood or take a walk to the park and pack a picnic to take with
- Use your skipping rope, fly a kite or use chalk and your driveway to make hopscotch shapes or a handball court
- Build a fort – inside or outside, depending on the weather
- Wash the car
- Do some vegetable gardening – plant your own veggies and watch them grow!
- Get your kids involved in cooking and making their meals
- Enjoy swimming and games in the pool such as Marco Polo
- Play Hide and Seek in the garden
Ideas with a Bit of Equipment or Cost
These ideas require a bit of equipment or cost a bit, but are worth your while as they will provide hours of fun for your kids and are definitely a special holiday treat:
- Backyard cricket, frisbee, tag or croquet can be fun for the whole family or with a group of friends
- Run through water sprinklers or have water gun battles
- Bike or scooter rides
- Visit the local ice rink, ten pin bowling alley, mini golf or even the zoo
Try and limit the time in front of screens this holiday and make the most of the warm weather by enjoying the outdoors and being active!