By the time your little one is a toddler, they are walking, running and starting to kick and throw. They are naturally very active at this age, so it is important to provide lots of opportunities for them to practice and build on the skills that they are developing.
How much is enough?
Here are the physical activity guidelines for toddlers each day:
- Get at least 30 minutes of structured (adult-led) physical activity
- Get at least 60 minutes of unstructured (free play) physical activity
- Not be inactive for more than an hour at a time except when sleeping
What can toddlers do?
It is important to understand what toddlers can do and what skills are appropriate at their age. By the time they are 2 years old, toddlers should be able to walk and run well. They might also be able to kick a ball and jump in place using both feet. By the age of 3, toddlers are usually able to balance briefly on one foot, kick a ball forwards, throw a ball overhand, catch a ball with stiff arms and pedal a tricycle.
It is important to keep these skills in mind when you are encouraging your child to be active or planning activities for them. Try and play games together and provide age-appropriate toys for them, such as balls, push toys and small riding vehicles. Through practice and being active, toddlers will continue to improve and refine their motor skills. The most important thing is to provide your toddler with lots of opportunities in a safe environment.
Fitness Tips for the Whole Family
Kids who like to engage in physical play from a young age are likely to stay active and be physically fit as they grow up. Walking, playing, exploring your garden or using playground equipment at the park can be fun for the whole family. Here are a few more games that provide fun, fitness and learning for parents and toddlers:
- Walk like a chicken, hop like a frog, waddle like a duck or imitate other animal movements
- Bend at the waist and touch the ground. Walk your hands forward and inch along like a worm
- Sit facing each other and hold hands. Rock back and forth as you sing “Row row row your boat”…
- Listen to your favourite music and dance together
- Play follow the leader, “Ring around the rosy,” or other similar games
Jimi Atrik provides footwear for children and toddlers that enable them to be comfortable while being active. Our shoes are also stylish and perfect for little feet.