Kids between the ages of 6 – 12 years need physical activity to build strength, coordination and also confidence. Healthy habits that are developed when they are young also lay the groundwork for a healthy lifestyle. Kids who are old enough to attend school will have many chances to participate in a variety of sports and activities that are fit for their personality, age and abilities. Find something that works for your kid so that they have fun while exercising.
How much is enough?
School-age kids should :
- Get 1 hour or more of moderate and vigorous physical activity on most or all days of the week.
- Participate in several bouts of physical activity of 15 minutes or more each day.
- Avoid periods of inactivity of 2 hours or more unless they are sleeping.
Fitness at Home
Many parents and kids think organized sports when they think of fitness, but two or three practices and games a week is not enough to reach activity goals. Here are some ways to keep your kids moving at home:
- Be active together. It will get you moving and keep your kids happy to be getting fit or playing with their parents.
- Limit time spent in front of screens, whether it is a TV, computer, iPad or phone screen.
- Make physical activity part of the daily routine, from household chores to afternoon walks. Keeping your family active every day is important.
- Allow enough time for free play. Kids benefit from spending time outdoors doing what they enjoy so encourage games of tag, swimming, riding bikes or any other activities they may choose.
- Keep a variety of sports equipment at home for weekends spent with family and friends. A family game of cricket or throwing balls is a great way of being active.
Through physical activities, kids also learn sportsmanship so be sure to set a good example in this area. Show your support for the competitive sports your children take part in, whether they are winning or not. As long as they are enjoying what they do and are active each day, they are on the right track! Jimi Atrik provides a range of children’s footwear that is perfect for being active, keeping your kids comfortable all day long. Visit our website to see our latest range or to find out more about our shoes.