The first day at school can be stressful for both the parents and the child. Between getting yourself ready for work and your kids ready for school, the morning can be frantic and doesn’t always start off on a positive note. Here are some tips to help you get through that first day and make things a little easier for you and the kids.
- Separation anxiety is a real thing, so when you leave your child make sure that you let them know that you will be back to collect them in a few hours and that they will see you again soon.
- Don’t worry if your child cries. Tears are normal and they don’t make you a bad parent.
- At home, practice eating out of a lunchbox and throwing things away. This will introduce your child to how they will be eating lunch at school and is also a way to get them excited.
- Supply at least 2 telephone numbers to the teacher in case the school needs to contact you. It is also important to make sure your child’s teacher is aware of any allergies and medicine that your child may need..
- Label absolutely everything and if possible, teach your child to write their own name before starting school.
- Children’s schoolbags can be black holes, so be sure to empty your child’s bag every day just in case the teacher has sent a note or announcement.
- Talk to your child about his or her feelings about school, teachers, friends and the new activities they will get to enjoy.
- In the run-up to the big day, read some books about starting school. These can be incorporated into bedtime stories and are a great way of helping your child feel more relaxed about starting school.
- Practice some self-help skills, such as dressing, undressing and washing hands. This will make your child feel more confident when they need to do these things at school.
- Go school shopping together, picking out backpacks, stationary and lunchbox snacks together. This goes a long way towards building the excitement of starting school.
- We understand that this can be an emotional day for parents too, so if you do need to shed a tear, do so when you are out of sight.
Picking the right shoes for school can make your child’s day more comfortable and fun. Jimi Atrik offers a range of footwear for boys and girls that are perfect for school and being active. Providing support, comfort and style, our range of footwear offers something for every child. Let us be part of your child’s first day of school, and every day after!